Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A December Day To Remember











Yesterday was the high light of my year. I went to Pioneer Woman's book signing and had a blast. It was a long wait, a six hour wait to be exact. But an interesting time meeting and talking to people. When she first came out she announced that she would be turning her love story into a book and there was much more to it and that it will be "juicy" were her exact words. So for those of you who are fans you will be pleased with that little bit of information. Borders handed out wrist bands and let me tell you we were one of the last colors and we knew we had a long wait.They also said they bought and sold 700 copies of her book. Wow!
I left my camera in the car and trecked back out in the rain to get it because Cari only had her small camera and we knew we had to get some great pictures and that we did.
I went with Cari and we both had said we were not leaving, we were in it for the long hall. Both of our husbands thought we had lost our minds and we probably did but I'll do it with her next book also. Did I just say that. We thought it would be midnight, oh no, it was 1:15 when we walked out of Borders and we were tired but it was all worth it. She was absolutely wonderful and gracious to see every person in line and sign every book and most people had more than one book. She looked as good as when she started signing books and still had a smile on her face for every person. That must be why no one wanted to leave. At one point they even offered to have people mail their books and she would mail them back after she signed them. I don't think anyone took that offer. Surprising! We were all there to see Ree Drummond. Towards the end of the line I was talking to this woman and she mentioned I Heart Faces (a cool photography blog) I turned to her and said I love that blog. She replied, that is my blog. It was Amy from I Heart Faces.She was so cool and had a wonderful personality. Amy It was so great to meet you and thanks for putting up with us silly girls. You have inspired me to participate in some of the contest on your blog. I am an amateur but heck, you have to start some where. I ran into a few people I knew which makes me realize it is such a small world and how many people follow Ree Drummond.
Cari and I have been thinking of something to get for Ree and we wanted it to be good. So on the day of the signing we both have epiphanies. Cari remembers that her father in law makes cool pens and ornaments out of wood and decides to drive over to to pick the perfect one out for Ree. I was in charge of making the card and while I was making the card I thought I should make her some coasters and I had 40 minutes before I had to get the girls. I made the coasters and I think they turned out pretty great if I do say so myself. I emailed Cari a picture and she thought it was too funny that I just happen to have tumble marble tiles, cork for the bottom and a sealer to protect the stamping on the coasters. But My craft room is full of stuff as most craft rooms are because after all we are all collectors right. Cari and I agreed we both work better under pressure. We didn't get to see her open the gift but I totally understand, after all it was 1:15 in the morning.
Right before we went up to see her, I had heard someone ask her if her cheeks were hurting from smiling and she said, "No, I think I must smile in my sleep because they seem to be fine." See that is how real and precious she is and that is why she has such a following. Only someone like her would smile in their sleep. Too cute!
I was behind her daughter Paige while waiting to get a coffee and she was asked what her dad thought about all this and she said, "he doesn't understand how she became so popular." So sweet!
When we finally made it up to talk to her and we didn't really say what we wanted to say we just rambled on it was like we were nervous ourselves to meet the infamous "Pioneer Woman." I felt like a teenager again, staying up late to meet an idol. Hmmm! Do we ever grow up? It was really worth the lost sleep and I would do it all over again. What a wonderful day in December I will cherish the memories forever.

3 comments:

courtney said...

it's been fun reading other peoples' experiences and perspectives at the book signing.

i LOVE the coasters you made--beautiful!!

Sundee said...

I follow her too. But THAT is committment. : )

Elle said...

y'all were so cute and i just cracked up over the gifts! awesome ideas and execution! :)